Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Agony of Waiting

The other day I was in the middle of cleaning when my three year old asked me to help her remove a belt that she had fastened around her dress. Because of the chemicals on the gloves that I was wearing I told her to sit on the bed and once I was done I would help her. Apparently, wait is not a part of her vocabulary and she began to throw a tantrum! I thought this the opportune time to teach her the importance of waiting. As her tantrum began to reach decibels that should have shattered the windows the more determined I became in not running to her rescue. In that moment I needed her to understand that she can't expect everything to happen at the time she determines they should. This tantrum raged on for almost 30 minutes and concluded only when she succeeded in ripping the dress because she  refused to wait the 10 minutes it would have taken me to finish my tasks.

As she stood there crying I asked God if this is how we react to Him when He doesn't respond immediately. We ask Him for something and when He doesn't show up on our predetermined schedule we throw a tantrum. Of course tantrums for us may not be screaming hysterically, but for some that maybe the case. Our tantrums could manifest in refusing to do the things we know we should; read our bibles, go to church, neglect our responsibilities or in some cases refuse to fellowship with God. We could be close to the cusp of answered prayer and because God doesn't appear at the time "we've" requested we throw a tantrum. What happens as a result of our proverbial tantrum is that God is surely delayed and in some cases we miss His time of visitation altogether.

You see, God tells us that we are not to be anxious but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6) But I believe that if many believers are honest with themselves the reason for their anxiety is lack of faith. Hebrews 11:6 states that it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone coming to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him. Many believers do not have a problem with the existence part, it is the part that He rewards those who diligently seek Him that can cause us to stumble.

Certainly life's circumstances can sometimes seem overwhelming and at times appear to crush us under its weight but Christ told us to be of good cheer for He has overcome the world. I do not share this with you as someone who has arrived to the place free of struggles but as someone who continues to struggle. My mind has been the thorn in my flesh and some days it feels clear and free and then other days not so much. But, what I've learned is I don't have to pretend with God to be someone I'm not and I don't have to pretend that I have obtained and arrived at the place He would have me be. When I feel overwhelmed in my mind I confess it and I ask God for His grace. I have discovered that is the only way I can make it. I've settled the fact that God does reward those who diligently seek Him even when His rewards appear to take more time than I like. To everything there is a season but there is also a process. If we could see behind the scenes and be privy to every plan that God has then why would we need faith? What would be the point of trusting and hoping for that which we can't see because in this scenario we've already seen it.

 No believer's life is perfect, nor is it free of challenges but let us all cling to Psalm 27: 13-14 which states, "I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"

The Principal Thing

"If I remain relatively unknown and the world never acknowledges the things that I've done, may I be known in heaven for these kids...