Thursday, September 15, 2022

The Principal Thing

"If I remain relatively unknown and the world never acknowledges the things that I've done, may I be known in heaven for these kids that I've raised and have loved." LaTosha R. Pinckney



For what seems like much of life, well, at least the parts when I became aware of this world, self, and my relation to it all, I have been searching for purpose. Honestly, this has been the most challenging undertaking that I have pursued, more so than obtaining a college degree or any job I've ever held. I have spent so much time trying to figure out "what" I am destined to do.

Since I've been at this for some time, I recognize that before I could ever discover what I was created to do, I must first determine who I was made to be. Before any role I assume or any space I occupy, I am, first, a species unlike any other of God's creation; having been created both of spiritual and physical properties, God's very breath fills my lungs (Genesis 2:7).

You would think knowing this would make knowing purpose much easier, and while it absolutely does to a degree, there is still the question of, "how do I apply this knowledge to my everyday life," humans complicate things for more than is necessary.

I have spent so much of my life looking for something so literal and specific that I failed to recognize that I had already created the place I longed for. All I have ever wanted was to encourage, empower and equip others; you see, that is who I am, a lifter up of others. 

All the while, I was looking for the people I was called to affect somewhere out there, and the platform from which they would hear of the goodness of God and how He has worked something pretty special out of me-I didn't notice my children were my people, my place as a mother, the platform given to me by God to help shape their world.

And this is my primary purpose, my reason(s) why, yet, it is not my end all be all. Like our creator God, who has many roles, Jehovah Jireh, Jehovah Rapha, and Jehovah Nissi, to name a few- so do we; we are Just One person at various points in life who will be called to many different things.

I hope that I may offer encouragement to one who thinks they haven't discovered it yet, the ones for whom purpose seems a millennial away. Take another look, and you will see purpose has been flowing through you long before you even recognized it.

The Principal Thing

"If I remain relatively unknown and the world never acknowledges the things that I've done, may I be known in heaven for these kids...